After a long 3 months of fundraising, cookie selling, planning (and more cookie selling), the 3rd & 177th Guides were off on our Maritimes 2018 adventures! And, it didn't take long for the adventures to begin! We passed through security, picked up our free smoothies ("thanks Booster Juice!" and were headed off to our gate. Girls were amused by the "people movers" (moving sidewalks) while we waited to board. Shortly after settling on board, two armed policemen boarded and proceeded to arrest (in handcuffs!) the gentleman sitting amongst us. Thankfully, he went peacefully and we were off on our way quickly! Nothing like a good story off to start the trip though!
We arrived in Halifax and were promptly greeted by "Bus Driver Brad" our friendly, patient and helpful coach bus driver! Check-out our bus below. We're traveling in style!
Our first stop was actually McDonald's just off the Bedford highway (en route to Halifax). After a "not-so-quick" breakfast, we were back on our way to the Halifax Waterfront. We enjoyed checking out the sites (check out our pictures with "the wave") and the gift shops, of course! By this time, the girls' spending money was certainly burning a whole in their pockets...
At 10:15a.m., it was time to board our Harbour Hopper amphibious vehicle tour of Halifax city and Halifax Harbour. Surprisingly, despite getting very little sleep on the short flight, only one girl had trouble staying awake. Our tour guide, Alex, was fabulous with the girls! We learned a ton about the Halifax area and history; the Halifax explosion, gardens, the Citadel, and a church with a haunted ghost! The highlight of the trip, however, was definitely when the boat left the streets and proceeded towards the water. The driver had promised the girls "a big splash!" and he delivered!! It came right up over the roof; the girls' squeals of approval rang loud!
Following the tour of the harbour, we headed back to the Halifax waterfront for a bit more sightseeing, shopping, and some lunch. There were a variety of unhealthy choices...poutine, pizza slices as big as your head, lobster rolls, Cow's ice cream, etc. Alex's grandparents live nearby so they met up with us for lunch and then met us again at Peggy's Cove. The temperatures were high today so they even went home to get us coolers full of ice cold water which was much appreciated later in the day!
After lunch, we were off to Peggy's Cove. The landscape driving en route to the busy area was absolutely breathtaking; on the right hand side trees and fresh water lakes, on the left hand side more trees and ocean! Although busy, Peggy's Cove didn't disappoint. After posing for a number of photo ops, the girls were eager to explore the rocks (and then later the large gift shop!)
After visiting the iconic lighthouse, we walked a little into the town to snap some pictures! Unfortunately, it was then time to say, "goodbye" to Alex's grandparents as we were off to enjoy our lobster feast at Hubbard's Shore Club. The dinner included all you can eat steamed mussels, all you can eat salad bar, drinks, and a Nova Scotia blueberry shortcake for dessert! The leaders thoroughly enjoyed everything (as did many of the girls). Some, however, although willing to try the lobster were quick to realize it isn't one of their new favourite foods!
Our day ended at our hotel in Bridgewater. Since everyone was understandably tired, we got the girls together to finish off their money envelopes for the day, journal, make food choices for pre-ordering upcoming meals, and write their "Today was fabulous messages" to you! Check them out below! Once the girls were tucked into bed, the leaders' jobs weren't over - oh, no! Who needs sleep?! Lol. We apologize for the late hour at which you'll be receiving the blog post. There was much to be done finishing tallying girls' spending money, etc. Despite the late hour, we hope you've enjoyed today's post. We excitedly await your comments on the blog! Please remember we're asking that each girl receive at least one comment so that we can share them with the whole group without leaving anyone out! Rest assured that "Day 1" was a resounding success! Looking forward to day 2 which includes pictures with the Bluenose, a tour of the Fisheries Museum in Lunenburg, a guided tour of Ovens Natural Park, and a night hike!






























Patrycja it looks like you had an amazing day!!! We are sooo happy for you and all your friends!!! So many pictures and attractions. We are amazed. Now we can't wait for tomorrow's pictures. Have fun!!!
ReplyDeletePs.it your aunt Agnes.
DeleteXoxo
Coralynn,
ReplyDeleteLooks like you are having a great time! I’m super jealous, I’ve always wanted to go to Peggy’s cove.
I’m impressed you tried mussels. I don’t like them but Uncle Matt loves them!
Glad you are keeping a happy attitude - I don’t know if I would have been able to, but lobster helps :)
Uncle Matt would like to know exactly which nickname you don’t want us to use on the blog ;)
Gillian - I’m so glad you had a great day! How did you like the lobster? Is it something we can start having at home on a regular basis? Did mom eat your leftovers? :). I’’m glad you arrived safe and that the weather was good. I hope you can tell me the story of why it’s called Peggy’s Cove - who was Peggy? Hope you slept well xox Dad
ReplyDeleteHi Gillian and mom. Glad you both had such great days. I hope you tools lots of pictures!! Miss you both but are excited to hear about your upcoming adventures!
ReplyDeleteXOXO - Caroline (and Lucky ;)
Kaylee what an amazing first day! I am exhausted just reading all of it! I would be happy to eat all of your lobster next time we eat somewhere they are serving it. Love you lots and can't wait to see more updates.
ReplyDeleteHello Moira and Paige!!!! It looks like you had a great day! I like the hungry looks on your faces when you both posed with the lobster. “IMA GONNA EAT YOU!!!” Is what it looked like. Mom and I are both excited to see more of your adventure tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteWow, what an amazing day! Those lobsters look delicious. Keep having fun!!!!
ReplyDeleteMom and dad
Hi Jada - We were so excited to see the blog post tonight, thought you all might be too tired! So happy to see you all arrived safely. I can only imagine the view at Peggy's cove and look forward to all your pictures and stories. In celebration of your Maritimes trip we had cod for dinner and I'm sure you were happy to miss that (dad says he hopes there are some good veggies out East! Hope you slept well and we love you. xoxo Mom
ReplyDeleteHello Jorjy!
ReplyDeleteI was so happy to see your smiling face on this blog. It looks like you guys had a perfect first day. Peggy's Cove looks so beautiful and so happy you had a chance to see this! Lobster dinner looked amazing. I hope you liked it!! We had boring old chicken for dinner while you were having a grand feast. I noticed right away in one of your pictures your new red sweatshirt. Great choice. Red always looks great on you. The boys and I were watching the clock closely today and following your itinerary. While you were out exploring our beautiful country, we were home eating Mac and Cheese. How fair is that?!
Hope you got some sleep on the plane after all that excitement! I hope your ears did not bother you as much this time around during landing.
I look forward to hearing about Day 2. Have fun! Love you so much my girl.
Love, Mom
P.S- We are headed to Sandpoint but will still check the blog every single day!
Ava, wow! What a day. I love the look on your face with the lobster. I can't believe you did so much on day one and with such little sleep. Way to go!(did you snooze on the ferry? :-) We are super proud of you! Have a great day #2 and we look forward to hearing all about it! Lots of love - Mom, Dad and Dylan
ReplyDeleteSounds like an action packed day! Did you like the lobster, Gillian?
ReplyDeleteHi Patrycja I am so excited to see you so happy! Lobster wow!!! I love all the pictures!!! Enjoy tomorrow. Girls you are awesome!! Patrycja we love you - mom,dad, Jessica and Serina.
ReplyDeleteElla, what a day!! I can’t believe how much you got to see and do already! What an adventure you are on. I’m so proud of you for being brave at the airport and for being such a great traveller. Make sure to give all your leaders a big hug! They are pretty awesome! Hopefully they can get some sleep now too. Thundershowers here tonight, Riley - not a fan. Lol. I’ll let him sleep under the covers tonight. :))
ReplyDeleteLove you to the moon! Have a great day tomorrow. Xoxoxo
Mom
Anjou, Sienna,Jada,Jorja, Sophia, Kaylee, Gillian, Carys, Rabbit and Bear:
ReplyDeleteLooks like you all had an amazing day today - isn't Peggy's Cove beautiful??? And I hope you all enjoyed your lobster - it is so yummy! I love getting to follow along in your adventures and seeing all the pictures! Can't wait to read about your adventures tomorrow.
�� Snow Leopard
Sienna,
ReplyDeleteWow ! Looks like great fun already ! Hope you don't mind that Boo is keeping some of your stuffies company as he didn't want them to feel lonely !!
Mom ! Xoxo
Hi Ryleigh,
ReplyDeleteWow, what an amazing first day! Were you able to sleep on the plane? Sorry to hear you were sick hope a good nights sleep will help you feel better. So you liked lobster, I knew you would. Did you try any of the mussels? And I see you ate Cows ice cream, yummy my favorite!! Have so much fun tomorrow and can't wait to hear all about your Day 2 adventures. Love Mom. PS, Ceilidh has spent the day with Emily and is sleeping at her house tonight. Gillian and Ryleigh your little sister's miss ya.
Hi Ryleigh. What a first day! You are having such adventures. Great that you tried the lobster! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear about what you are doing. We miss you. And is that a new hat?
ReplyDeleteRy this was from Dad 😊
DeleteHi Madison,
ReplyDeleteIt sure looks like you all had an amazing first day we are very jealous! The harbour hooper definitely looked very cool!! So many wonderful pictures we can’t wait to see tomorrows adventures. Have fun!! Love you lots!!
Mom & Dad ❤️
Madeline,
ReplyDeleteWe loved the pictures and the message you sent. What an action-packed first day! Did you enjoy the lobster and mussels? You looked a bit grossed out...ha ha. I hope you enjoyed the flight. We had a big windy storm here tonight! We love you lots!
Mom, Dad & Claire
Hi Tia! I can’t believe all you wanted to write about today was seeing someone get arrested at the airport IN EDMONTON!! Hahaha! It must have reminded you of your ‘dream’ at the hotel in Hawaii. ;) We’re so glad there are pictures posted on the blog so that we can see you are enjoying your time there. (Thanks guiders!!!) Anyway, we wrote you a little song, it’s sung to the tune of Mary had a little lamb. Ahem here we go:
ReplyDelete—Tia where’s your underwear? Underwear? Underwear? Tia where’s your underwear, you’ve left it all at home.
Hah just jokes it’s in your bag, in your bag, in your bag. Hah Just jokes it’s in your bag so make sure that you change it —
Hehe we love you little girl!! Kisses and hugs from all of us. XOXO Love Mom, Dad, Dom and Drago.
Julia the pictures showed how amazing Day 1 was!!!! We hope that lobster met your expectations and you have enjoyed the fancy dinner. Don’t worry about the lost water bottle buy a new one. We love you! Be safe and have tons of fun!!!!! KISSES Mama and Tata
ReplyDeleteCarys & Guider Andrea,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you’ve had a great start to your trip! Peggy’s Cove is one of my favorite places too.
Anna was wondering how you were doing so I’ll make sure to share this with her in the morning.
Can’t wait to hear about your adventures tomorrow! Hope you all have a good sleep.
xoxo
Auntie Sherry
Hi Maddy!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun, packed day of adventures. I would love to have been there. I love lobster, and mussels. When Grandma and I went on a trip to PEI, we went to a big lobster fest and Grandma was the only one who didn't order lobster. Not her favourite. Maybe we need to go out to a seafood restaurant when you get home. Grandpa Patterson
Zoee, what an amazing day you have had. I liked how you were able to drive right into the water. Keep having fun.
ReplyDeleteLove Grandma and Rose �� xoxo
Kaylee,
ReplyDeleteThe blog about your day was great and it sounds like you are doing lots of fun things in Halifax. I am so glad you had a beautiful day at Peggy’s Cove and could walk around on the rocks. I have been there several times and nice weather makes all the difference! On one trip it was raining and so windy we never got out of the bus! Also I will be second in line behind your Mom for your lobster. Love Grandma
Thank you for letting me tag along in this virtual tour. Loved the Maritimes when I visited... I will be back!
ReplyDelete- Guider Karen
I love getting to see all the pictures! And there is a very job being done of including everyone!
ReplyDeleteHi Coralynn! Sounds like you’ve had so much fun already! And so much shopping - I hope you have some money left! Very proud of you for choosing to be happy despite being tired. Have an awesome day again - I can’t wait to hear more!
ReplyDeleteHi Anjou! Did you like the lobster? Did you try the mussels?! What an amazing (and exhausting) first day you girls had! You are so lucky you have thoughtful leaders who share as much of your excitement for your trip as you girls do, AND they give us little samples of your day, each and every day. I hope you got lots of sleep last night and are ready for more fun! Nous t’aimons tellement. Bisous ma belle xxx, mom.
ReplyDeleteHey Ella Bella,
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you are having an awesome time, what an experience!
I had to make sure I was reading it right that your bus turned into a boat that is sooo cool, don’t be afraid to try new things and enjoy every second with that great bunch of girls, you look so happy, take it all in and have a blast! Sending our love from Newfoundland, love Auntie, Greg, Kayleigh and Amelia, oh and of course Cooper ��
Wow Madison wish I was there the harbour hopper sound so fun! Love the pictures at Peggy’s Cove have a great day tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteLove your GBFF Deb
Hi Zo Zo,
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing first day!! The Harbour Hopper sounds really cool! You must of loved climbing on all the rocks.
You have now been to the west and east coasts of Canada, seen the Pacific Ocean in Vancouver and the Atlantic Ocean in Halifax! (All within a month!)
Don’t forget to try to have a guider take pictures of you in front of landmarks with your camera!
Can’t wait to hear all about today’s adventure!
Love you to the moon and back, Mom and Dad
Hi Simone, what a fantastic first day! Did you try the lobster? Was the amphibious vehicle cool? Love the picture of you at Peggy’s Cove. Hope you are rested for another great day. We love you and miss you already. Love Nana and Aunt Julie
ReplyDeleteHi Anjou! You had LOBSTER!!! How yummy! What an exciting first day you have had. We are following your blog while I am in Toronto - Love from Adelaide, Eleanor, Dylan, Auntie Carly, Comet, Poppy and Grandma Joan. Have a great second day!
ReplyDeleteHi Madison, did you try the lobster? Wow, what a fun filled day, great pictures, thanks! Wish we could do a trip like that. Love Nanny and Papa!
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Courtney! Wow it’s hard to believe how much you’ve seen and done already! I’m so proud of you for going on this adventure and how much work you did to get there! I admit that I am envious, as I’ve always wanted to travel the East coast of our beautiful country...I’m sure I would’ve spent an hour alone staring at Peggy’s Cove.
ReplyDeleteYour leaders are amazing, thank them often. Did you like the lobster and mussels?...YUM! Give Mom a big hug from Daddy and Drew. I love you and miss you! Have an amazing time, enjoy every second!
Love Daddy. (XOX)2
Looks like you are all off to a great start! Enjoy your trip Guides and keep those leaders in line! ;)
ReplyDeleteHi Carys and Mom,
ReplyDeleteHow yummy was the lobster dinner? I love lobster and wish I was there with you! Why did you have to leave me at home with Dad and the boys - they are terrible and driving me bananas... Just kidding - Dad is awesome!!! The boys not so much... Dad said we are going to get lobster or crab from Costco, so we can eat it - just like you. We are "copy cats". Not in Halifax obviously (not so lucky as you), but still managing to having fun with Dad - believe it or not. I miss you both lots and hope you are having an awesome time. Bring us back some lobsters!!!
Love Cammie-Bell
Anjou. Good job with the lobster. Was it delish? I hope it wasn’t too crunchy for you and you didn’t break any teeth...oh wait, you only eat the insides. Nevermind. I’m glad you’re having a GREAT time so far. I’m super excited to hear about these adventures.
ReplyDeleteFrom, BEST DAD EVER. ME
Hi Courtney,
ReplyDeleteGrandpa and I are following the blog. It appears you are having a great time! Lobster is my very favorite food ever, I hope you enjoyed it. Give your Mom a big hug! We love you and miss you. Love Grandma
Hi Monie! This is Celeste (aka favourite sibling) writing to you from Camrose. Sounds like you are having a fabulous time. Did you enjoy the lobster? I hope you did, it is one my personal favourites. Did you do the wave inside the wave? That would've been cool. Daph misses you sooooooo much. She has been sleeping with us since she doesn't want to be alone (so cute!). I hope you have a great time at the museum of fishes and please keep trying new foods. Mal says to keep dabbing on them haters, which shouldn't be hard since you do that all the time ;). Daddy misses you and mum too. That's all for now, I miss you and mum soooooooo much! Bye Bye
ReplyDeleteP.S: Tell me if mum is being a rascal :D
Holy smokes Ella! What a great first day. And did you know that when you were boating around Halifax Harbour, you were in the same harbour as your Great-great grandparents when they arrived in Canada in 1903 and that your Great-great grandmother Bonokoski was only 8 years old, just a little younger than you are now. Wouldn't she smile to think that you are visiting the same city she did when she first saw this great new country. Papa says be sure to give Pumpkin 2 a hug from us. Love Nana
ReplyDeleteHi Alexa
ReplyDeleteDad is happy you like mussels, now he has someone to share them with! It looks like everyone is having a fabulous time, I’m jealous!
Jetty and Jewel miss you!
Love Mom, Dad and Logi
Hi BabyGirlo,
ReplyDeleteDrew and My adventure begins momentarily...I wanted to say have an awesome next 2 days and i’ll blog again Saturday, when in cell range. I love you! Hug your Mom for me please.
Love Daddy
It is so wonderful to see all your hard fundraising work finally end with an experience to remember. Thank you for sharing your lovely trip memories with us and I wish you all the best for a great adventure.
ReplyDeleteSharlet
Hi Alex, just wanted to say a quick goodnight and hope that you had another fabulous day of adventures. We cant wait to hear all your stories and see all the pictures younare taking. We are just sitting down to supper and was thinking of you. Lots of love Mom, Dad, Syd, Zach, Patches and Shyloh
ReplyDeleteLooks great hunny, enjoy that lobster
ReplyDeleteLove mum &dad😘
Hi Jorja, the trip looks amazing so far, I hope you enjoyed the fresh lobster! I hope you got some sleep on the plan so you were awake for Peggy's Cove. Miss you. Love Dad.
ReplyDeleteHi Peanut!!
ReplyDeleteI hope day two was as amazing as day one!
We are always thinking of you. Wanted to say goodnight.
We are camping at Rocky Mountain and there was a huge hail storm, looks like it snowed.
Have fun tomorrow!
Love Mom and Dad
Ps mommy is cuddling with Teddy every night.
Hi Ryleigh Love from Bubbie
ReplyDeleteHi Carys...how exciting to see this on my iPad this am...you are having a wonderful trip and hats off to the hard working leaders...enjoy every moment (it must be like coming back to your familiar second home) I will follow your every day adventures dear...love you...Your great aunt Carol �� xoxo
ReplyDeleteHi Ryleigh, Lobster, ice cream and Peggy's Cove. You are having a fantastic adventure. Thinking of you always. Wishing you a most wonderful HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Love your smiles. Lots of hugs and kisses. Love you, Bubbie.
ReplyDelete